
Michelle Ward has an awesome blog http://michelleward.typepad.com/how_cool_is_that/whats_a_street_team.html that inspires artists or anyone to try different techniques and to think outside of the box.
I have really wanted to participate but am quite limited with time. This time though I made a date with my art - as Michelle says and tried the gesso project. Gesso is a medium that artists use for prepping canvases. We were encouraged to try using it different ways - printing images into it or stamping it and painting over it and spritzing it. I am sure my work is a totally different angle but I really wanted to try and add it to a painting of mine.
I know people tell me they really like my paintings but it's funny , as an artist, I sometimes think they are too traditional. I love all the altered art out there so my goal was to add a different dimension to a painting.
First I took a painting I had already started from this picture of New Orleans in Disnleyland:

Then I used a stencil and added dimensional paint to make a relief. In the top corner I added the dimensional paint and stamped into it with a rubber stamp.I didn't have any gesso on hand so Michelle encouraged me to use the dimensional paint.


After it dried I finished my painting. Should have finished the painting first LOL.The painting is in oil so it took awhile to dry.



I then painted over the gesso/dimemsional paint with a mix of blue-greens,greys,creams and gold.

And VOILA - the finished product- well not quite finished. I still have to finish parts of the painting and from the pictures , straighten up my architectural lines LOL.

What I learned from this project:
-Mixing mediums really did add a fun dimension to my work and experimenting is totally fun cause I tend to be a bit anal with my artwork.I would like to have spritzed it but didn't quite have the courage on the painting.
-You can easily paint over it in both acrylics and oils.
And last but not least, I still need a fire under my butt and usually squeak in at the last minute. I operate much better under pressure LOL
Would I do it again? You betcha ! Thanks gazillions Michelle for the inspiration !

8 comments:
Wow Bre love the art and yes it's hard being told YOUR stuff is good but it is! Hugs French;)
WOW! I love your altered painting! I'm in awe of your artistic ability period. I've really enjoyed reading your blog...especially your pictures of Quebec @ Christmas. How magical a place it is!
Thanks for the visit! I'll either use plywood or foam core board to back my "Time for Christmas" clock.
I'll be back to visit you again another time....I really enjoyed myself here.
check you out girl! love how you took your painting to an altered level with dimensional paint. what an artsy and unique way to embellish your painting! thanks for sharing with the team - love having you!
Wow, that is really nice! You're extremely talented!!!!
Well I am impressed!!! Looks really good, and if you enjoyed doing it what more could you ask!Hope this finds you well in your neck of the country!!
I am so impressed that you stepped out of your comfort zone - go you :-) I think the end result is wonderful. And for what it's worth, I think your paintings are glorious.
Bre, I love the textured look of the painting. I've been wanting to do something abstract with the texture for my living area. You've inspired me to go ahead and give it a shot. Hopefully after the Holidays I'll get started on my long list of to do's.
Have a wonderful day,
Kris
Wow, you are so talented! This is just amazing! The New Orleans area at Disneyland is my favorite part of Disneyland! On my blog you may see pictures of a 3-tiered dish that I usually keep on my dining room table. My mom bought that in a shop in the New Orleans area at Disneyland in the 1960s!
Post a Comment